My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Accessory questions if its luggage, power outlets, lights find a new bit of bling post here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Beer, Wilso, jonesy

My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Postby bigkuri » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm going to try to capture all the stuff I have done to my 2008 SE in this post. It has had one owner from new, and is well cleaned/maintained - the guy was incredibly careful and diligent, he just used caustic cleaning agents that surface rusted the bolts, betides from that it is perfect.

Before, 14,000 miles, and perfect :) Very stock except for the rally designs fairing, centre stand, and Wings exhaust.

More to follow....
2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Re: My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Postby bigkuri » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 am

First thing was the bash plate. Sure, it comes with one, however it is pretty minimal, and not that strong. Plus I was always worried of a direct hit to the oil tank just destroying a very important bit of the bike! (the sump!!!).

So I selected, after careful research, the Mike-made Canadian bash plate. He kind of just creates them to order, however they are a decent price, built like a battleship, and just so light (considering their battleship status!). Mike at MotoVentre, info@mvmotoventure.ca, or known as LAKEMONSTER over on advrider.com

Plus you'll see I fitted a Raid Designs (from Sweden) alternator cover. This thing just sucks-on, no silicon needed, just slide it on and job done :)

Last edited by bigkuri on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby Beer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 am

i could do with one of those sumpguards..are you planning on going over to the states again in the near future :D
Beer

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

Beer wrote:i could do with one of those sumpguards..are you planning on going over to the states again in the near future :D

Not for a few months, but will let yu know! Happy to be a courier if timing works out :)
2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 am

Next up was relocating the Voltage Rectifier. A good mate of mine was plagued with the VR failing on his SE, he went through tons of initial frustration finding the cause, and fried several batteries in the process. For the life of his SE ownership he went through three VRs. The trouble is the location, right in front of the battery getting all that heat from the rear pot and header, and no real airflow. The solution is to move the VR into a better spot. A pretty easy task, and loads of options.
One constraint is the length of the VR wires are pretty short, so most alternative locations require lengthening the loom wires.

Need to move this black thing with fins - the VR

I cheated, and ordered a kit off Mike at MotoVentre, a small Canadian company. info@mvmotoventure.ca

2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Hard to see, but there are two directions the wiring loom goes - basically several wires simply hook back around the VR and into the fuse and replays just by the battery under the seat, and the thick yellow wires go forward and have a connector under the left side of the fuel tank.

Two bolts and the VR is off

This is what/where the bracket kit goes. It is nicely tucked away.

To get to this stage I had to remove the tank to unclip the yellow-wires connecter, as there is not enough space in the frame to simply move the VR without removing it entirely.

This kit does NOT require you to lengthen the VR wires/loom, which is great news. I had to loosen off the relay and fuse assembly, and simply wiggle/reroute the VR wires so that they would accommodate the new VR location. In the above photo you can see the black wire loom just curving over the top of the shock, by the orange zip tie (yes, orange zip ties - I am a tart).

Fitted it is well out of the way - no chance of your leg hitting it

2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:26 am

Next up is this thing....

Pretty unusual choice here, so a little explanation!...

A Swedish company called Raid Designs makes just awesome (and expensive!) kit for your SE.

http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/

These guys provided my Carbon Alternator Cover, which is some of the best made carbon goodness I've seen.
http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/products/ ... cover.html

They of course also make a very quality Rally Fairing, as pictured on my bike. Tons of room and mounting options for your rally kit; GPS, Tacho, Roadbook, etc..

http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/products/ ... grp=864236

I was lucky enough that the original owner of my bike fitted the full fairing before selling it on, however I had two small issues, particular to me:
1. I only have a small GPS, no rally kit to mount (and no intention of ever using a road-book!)
2. I kind of like the naked look & feel of the SE....

So I sold it :) Restoring the bike to this:

2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 am

Next up, and "internal mod"; changing the oil jet for a larger one. Plus replacing the OEM clutch slave while at it

The original LC8 had no oil jet, or more correctly an oil jet with no hole! The Dakar racers were finding that in high heat and heavy clutch work the clutch was slipping/failing, and their solution was to put in an oiljet with a larger hole. I think some of the racers ended up running a 1mm jet, however for street use this has the side effect of making the clutch too sticky; resulting in a hard time finding neutral, or clunky low rev gear changes. KTM decided on a 0.3mm oil jet, and LC8 bikes since about 2005 had this. All SE's have a 0.3mm.

An "upgrade" is to go slightly larger - CJ Designs and Zen Overland sell a 0.5mm upgrade kit
http://www.zenoverland.com/ktm-990-adve ... -05mm.html

However I'm cheap, and after a bit of research found a Honda part that does the job with a 0.75mm jet. Slightly on the large size, but we shall see how it goes. I think that Zen Overland have recently put their price down - if I'd seen the above link I just would have bought theirs :)

The oil jet is meant to be cleaned as part of your service:

The Honda part:

I definitely notice the "side effects" of going with such a large size, but I'll see how it goes over time....

Two top tips:
1. For removing the jet it can be a little tricky. I have a thick screw driver bit which exactly wedges into the screw driver slot of the jet - meaning it just lifts out. The other methods is using a blast of compressed air, sucking on a bendy straw, or a hair clip.
2. A blocked jet is common, as muck accumulates around the jet. When you remove the jet for cleaning, replace the plug while the jet is removed and run the engine for a couple of mins to cycle the crud away. Do not ride the bike or use the clutch while doing this, just idle it. Don't forget to stick the cleaned jet make in!! :)

The OEM clutch slave is a bit of a weak point on the LC8. It's far too small to handle the large clutch of the bike, and KTM simply used the same clutch slave as they use on their smaller dirt bikes. My Adventure one failed in about 6,000 miles from new. Others have bikes with 30k + miles on them, it is just one of those things. But as I had the kit, I mounted it for peace of mind.
I used the Oberon slave, and billet mounting plate:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/o ... re-se.html
http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/o ... m-lc8.html

Simple bolt on, and bleed the system. I was horrified at the gunk in the master cylinder - the bike has 14k miles and it was watery brown gunk! You can see the finished article below, nice orange bling! :)
Last edited by bigkuri on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Can you tell I have the day off work, and nothing to do!... ;)

Next up is the side stand relocator, and also a bigger side stand footprint. The relocator is vital for offroading, as otherwise your sidestand is bolted directly to your crankcase, so a hard impact on the sidestand risks cracking your cases = £££ $$$ and a bastard of a repair job.

On my adventure I used a BlackDog Cycleworks relocator, however for the SE I bought UK; Charlies Sidestand Relocator.
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/882 ... cater.html

Not my picture, but it looks like this:

I bought one of these cheap off eBay, only to find that the damned thing is steel, not aluminium. So it is a heavy bastard :(

So I cut it down to this:

2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Postby bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Next is just some simple bling, with the excuse that it lets me see the oil, and catch the signature white oil that indicates a failing water-pump...

CJ Designs Titanium clear clutch cover... Lovely bling :geek:

http://www.zenoverland.com/ktm_950_supe ... cover.html

2008 SE 950 R
bigkuri

Next

Return to Accessories and Farkles